What your podiatrist in Burnsville, Minnesota wants you to know
Bunions are large, bony bumps next to your big toe. They can make it difficult to wear shoes comfortably because the friction of the bunion rubbing against your shoe can be painful. If you have a bunion, it’s best to seek out the help of an expert like Dr. Kim Fjelstad at Foot And Ankle Physicians. He has several office locations in Burnsville, Apple Valley, Edina, and Savage, Minnesota to help your feet.
Your genetics can play a part in whether you are prone to bunions, but they can also be caused by many other issues, including:
- Having flat feet
- Overpronating when you walk
- Wearing narrow shoes or high heels
- Trauma or injury to your foot
- Bone deformities in your foot
- Arthritis, especially rheumatoid
- Overstressing your feet
According to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, over half of the women in America will experience a bunion. That’s because women often wear shoes that are too narrow, which force the toes to crush together, and high heels make the problem worse by pushing the toes forward.
You may be able to relieve the pain of a small bunion by following a few simple tricks you can do at home. Consider:
- Taping the bunion for added support
- Inserting padding in your shoes to cushion the bunion
- Wearing wide shoes or sandals
For large, painful bunions you need the help of an expert. Dr. Fjelstad will take x-rays to determine the level of bone involvement and decide on a treatment to get you back on your feet. He may recommend:
- Custom-made orthotics to make walking easier
- Exercises to increase mobility
- Protective padding to minimize friction and irritation
- Supportive footwear
- Removing calluses or corns to ease friction
- For severe bunions, he may suggest surgery to straighten your toe and provide better foot alignment.
You don’t need to suffer from bunion pain when help is just a phone call away. To find out more about bunion treatment and other foot care services call Dr. Kim D. Fjelstad at Foot And Ankle Physicians, with offices in Burnsville, Apple Valley, Edina, and Savage, Minnesota. Call today!