What your foot and ankle physician in Burnsville, Savage, Edina and Apple Valley, Minnesota, wants you to know
When you suffer from pain in your feet or ankles, you know how debilitating it can be. Foot and ankle pain can keep you from enjoying your life. There are some effective treatments for foot and ankle pain, however. Your doctors at Foot and Ankle Physicians in Burnsville, Savage, Edina and Apple Valley, Minnesota, want to share their expertise on how you can get relief from foot and ankle pain.
You can experience foot pain for a variety of reasons, including bunions, arthritis or diabetic neuropathy. One of the most common causes of chronic foot pain is plantar fasciitis, inflammation of the band of tissue which runs across your heel. Plantar fasciitis is common in runners, but you can also suffer from it if you are overweight, or stand or walk on hard surfaces for extended periods of time.
There are some things you can do at home to relieve foot pain, including pain caused by plantar fasciitis. You can try:
- Stretching your arches several times each day
- Avoid going barefoot
- Take over-the-counter pain medications
Ankle pain is sometimes caused by arthritis in your ankle joint, inflammation of a tendon, nerve injury, or past fractures or trauma. You may experience problems walking, especially on uneven ground, or you may feel unstable on your feet.
There are some effective remedies you can try at home for ankle pain, including:
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
- Wearing an ankle brace for support
- Resting and not putting weight on your ankles or feet
For stubborn foot and ankle pain that doesn’t respond to home therapy, your doctors at Foot And Ankle Physicians have several effective treatments to relieve your pain. Consider:
- Physical therapy to restore flexibility and increase strength
- Prescription medication to relieve pain and decrease inflammation
- Steroid medications to reduce swelling
- Ankle braces, custom orthotics or custom footwear to provide support
You can find relief from foot and ankle pain with just a simple phone call. Your Foot And Ankle Physicians with offices in Burnsville, Savage, Edina and Apple Valley, Minnesota are standing by to help.